How to Use Hashtags on Social Media
Posted by Sarah Wai on Apr 6, 2020 8:00:00 AM
You’re in a store and you see a group of people looking at a product you manufacture. You start to hear them talk about your product. One of the group members brings up a good question about the product that the group can’t seem to find the answer to. Another group member points out a similar product and encourages the group to use that product because it has more information on the box than yours.
- Categorize posts
- Grab the attention of those interested in specific topics
- Increase awareness of your products, services, or solutions
- Harness the power of popular topics on social media
- Reach local audiences (especially helpful for small businesses)
How to Use Hashtags in Your Campaigns
Posts with at least one relative Instagram hashtag average 12.6% more engagement than posts without a hashtag.
hashtag Do's and Don'ts
- Use relevant terms for your industry
- Research trending topics that apply
- Create a hashtag to match your brand
- Only use acronyms if they are well-known
- Check the settings on your social media accounts to make sure the public (not just your followers) sees your posts
- If you have a long hashtag, try capitalizing the first letter of every word to avoid confusion: #tributemediatuesdaytip looks more confusing than #TributeMediaTuesdayTip
- #hash#tag#every#word#of#your#post. Typically, 3-7 hashtags per post is sufficient and acceptable, and typically is the magic number for social media algorithms.
- Make your post one large hashtag. They are hard to read and can become misleading and confusing.
- Repeat your hashtag multiple times in the same post. It doesn’t help. Repeating the same hashtag in every post has not proven to be effective on any platform.
Written by Sarah Wai
Content and Email Marketing Specialist of Tribute Media. B.S. in Media Communications. Certified in Hubspot, Inbound Marketing, Contextual Marketing, and Email Marketing.