Socializing with your customers on social media should be a key component of your media marketing strategy. It may seem like an obvious statement but after looking at numerous companies’ social media sites it appears that some people don’t understand this concept.
The people on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram giving your page love are on there to be social, to be entertained and to read or see something worth looking at. Having a page that is interesting to your audience is what will get them to like, comment on, and share your stuff. The number one mistake companies make is using their social sites solely to distribute their own content.
Doing this every so often is okay but when more than 20% of your posts are links to your own products and site then there is a problem. No one wants to browse a Facebook page that is full of sales pitches, demands to sign up now and links to your company website. A widely excepted ratio for sales-related posts vs. entertaining posts is 20:80.
How you should be using your social sites:
- Be funny! Who doesn’t love to laugh? While scrolling down a news feed what is more likely to catch your eye, a funny picture of a cat doing a cartwheel or a sales post? The funny post of course! People will like it, make comments and share it with their friends, which will get your page more likes and a higher interaction rate.
- Engage your followers! This is the best way to become a real person to your fans. Respond to others’ posts; share their posts and when they comment on your stuff comment back. Build a real relationship with your followers; they will be more likely to purchase your products if they actually like you. Interact with them often and you will see an increase in your web presence.
- Post things your audience actually wants to read! Constant posts about your stores business hours and your top selling product is a quick way to get “unliked.” Spend some time thinking about what your audience would like to know. What are they interested in? Become an expert in your industry and be the “go-to” when someone needs information.
- For example: If you are a realtor use your Facebook and Twitter to post decoration advice, photo’s of awesome house designs, common moving mistakes, roommate tips and even relationship advice for those who live with their significant others. People will go to your page because it’s attention grabbing and has useful information. Then when they are ready to buy a home you will be their first call because you have become a real person in their minds.
- Host contests and giveaways! This is a great way to engage your audience and give them a free taste of your product or services.
- For example: If you own a car wash then host a contest that requires your audience to submit a story about their funniest road trip memory and the person with the best story wins a free car wash. This allows them to get personal and brings them to your product!
- Sometimes post product and company information! If you are having an awesome sale or just got a new product or service then let your audience know. If there is company news or changes give them an update but do it in an interesting way. Have it accompanied by a picture or a funny story. Just make sure not to let product posts eat up the news feed.
Social media is such a great way to gain attention for your product and services and also great for boosting public relations but only if you use it properly. You may have 1,000 likes but if you have 0 interesting posts then you won’t get anywhere. Break out of that boring shell your page is stuck in. Be personable, funny and interesting. You will have more fun with your social media sites and so will your audience, which is the most important thing in social media marketing!