Google My Business is an important part of any Search Engine Optimization Strategy
Setting Up a Google My Business Profile
- Go to https://www.google.com/business/ and sign in with your gmail email address
- Type in your business name—if there is already a profile with your business (Google does this automatically sometimes)—it will pop up here; if not, you can create a brand-new listing
- If there is already a listing live on Google, you can "claim" the listing. Follow the directions to do this. It may include having a verification postcard sent to your business address or receiving a phone call verification to your business phone number
- If there is not already a listing, you may have to verify as well
- Set your business hours, categories, website address, products, services, and description, as well as any other information you'd like to include, under the Info tab.
Optimizing Your Google My Business Listing
There are a few different areas on your listing that need attention, and others that you can make use of regularly. Here's an overview of the different areas on Google My Business.
Posts are an opportunity to let potential customers know about your business through short blurbs that can link out to pages on your website, appointment links, or your phone number. Posts show up on the right-hand side of the SERP on desktop and below your company's information on mobile devices.
After you've completed your initial setup of your business, you can visit the Info section to add special hours (such as holidays), add new info or categories, or make changes as needed.
Wondering how people are finding your Google My Business profile? Insights will give you an overview of search terms used and analytics on device types and more.
This tab will take you to all of your Google reviews. From here you can respond to reviewers, and it's a great way to both keep your profile fresh and let your customers know you appreciate their thoughts. PRO TIP: Respond to negative reviews as well as positive! Google offers tips on responding to all types of reviews here.
We recommend not using the messaging feature on Google My Business unless you create a plan to actively manage it.
Upload photos of your business, employees, products, or anything else that you'd like potential customers to see.
If you offer products and want customers to be able to view them here, add photos, pricing, and a link to more information on your site here.