Google Places was launched in September of 2009 as a service for 50 million+ businesses to help customers and potential customers get found. Businesses such as restaurants,hotels,dry cleaners, bike shops, as well as non-business places like museums, schools and parks. But as our digital world grows and evolves, Goolge responds to their users needs. Introduce Google My Business (June 2014).
Google My Business is a comprehensive dashboard that incorporates Google Maps, Google Search and Google+. The best part about this new google service is that it is free. Below is a step by step process to claim your business on Google My Business.
Go to: google.com/business/
- Sign into your Google Account. If you do not have an account, click on the “Create an account now” button. Don’t worry, it’s free!
- Click “Get on Google”. (upper right handle corner, its blue)
- Enter your business name and address. Google will attempt to locate information about your business to auto fill fields in the next screen, but if your business doesn't come up, choose the bottom option "None of these match - Add your business".
- If you have to add your information, you'll be asked your business name, address, phone number and what services you provide.
- Once you choose your business, you will need to agree to the term of use. Click Submit.
- The next screen will state you will need to verify your business via a post card with a verification code you will receive in 1-2 weeks. Once you receive the code, enter the code in the verification code field and google will publish your Google+, Google Map location and Google Search information.
Getting found by customers is essential to any business and Google makes it fairly easy to make sure your location information is up-to-date. If you any questions on this or any other SEO strategies, please feel free to contact us today.