Identifying your brand’s voice through your social media marketing fosters personal relationships with customers. You are creating a culture that your clients are interested in being a part of. They want to know your staff and your office quarks. If you aren’t using your social media platforms correctly you create a bad P.R. storm for your business. The algorithm to using social media to develop a consistent brand personality is a difficult one. Follow these steps to get on the right track to creating a brand voice that’s heard on every Internet platform.
When you sign up for a social media network, you’re joining a community that has its own culture. They each have their own set of rules that you need to adhere to. You have to be able to adapt your brand to make sure it comes across clear to your customers. You also need to pay attention on what content to post and how often to post per platform. The content depends on the platform, for example: content for LinkedIn tends to be more professional as opposed to Facebook that tends to be a more personable and casual. It is essential to understand the medium you’re speaking through to develop an effective brand voice.
Knowing your audience is critical in any marketing effort. Identify who you want to connect with and then create your brand’s personality accordingly. You can have the coolest brand personality in the social media world, but if your audience is older and doesn’t care about pop culture; it’s not going to work. Know the consumer you’re talking to and then make a decision on how you’re going to reach them. Then ask yourself some questions about your brand. Do you want a brand personality that’s goofy or serious? Once you’ve decided how you want to be portrayed, discuss it with everyone on our team. You need to all be on the same page in order to present a clear brand identity in all your business endeavors. Pay attention to word choices, the types of content you’re sharing, and the way you interact to build brand consistency. Pay attention to how your audience communicates and change your brand’s voice accordingly.
It’s tempting to take the easy way out: copy and paste all over your social media platforms. This won’t do you any good. Your customers want to know what you think not what everyone else thinks. In order to build your brand’s voice, you must create interesting, engaging, and original content that appeals to the greatest amount of people in your audience. It can’t be that hard right? Writing content gets easier as you identify your brand voice. The more you understand who you are, the easier it is to relay information to your audience. A good target to shoot for is 70/30: 30% of your social media marketing should be self-promotional. The other 70% should be fun or original content designed to bring in potential customers. Posting pictures and videos of company events, sharing company blog posts, and posting helpful workplace tips are great ways to keep the focus on your brand without coming across as a pushy salesman and it gives your brand a relatable culture.
You’ll have to be flexible. Make sure you embrace each platform and tailor your message to it. Social media is about connecting people. Keep in mind that no one joins a social media network to read ads all day. They join to be a part of a community and to connect with those people around them. As a business you have to be able to foster this sense of community while tapping into social media’s intrinsic fast-paced energy. Social media is built for real-time marketing. It gives brands the opportunity to tap into a moment with a customer. By tapping into these moments, your brand feels less like a huge machine and more like a friend. A more relatable and approachable brand creates a stronger brand voice. A strong brand voice means sales.
There are no rules put in place to make people like and pay attention to you on their social media networks. Social media is constantly changing and requires a lot of trial and error to develop a comfortable brand personality. Pay attention to what’s going on, be loyal to your brand’s voice and adapt to the nature of the platform and you’ll be off to a great start.